Thursday, April 2, 2009

NS Reminiscence

"It will also set out to find out whether the programme will be continued or stopped as there have been calls for it to be discontinued," he told reporters after officially opened this year's second batch of NS trainees at Cahaya Gemilang camp in Cherating here Thursday.
(Source: The Star)

National Service, it's very mesmerising I must say. Looking back, it's been like three years already. I received the notice letter on December 2006. (Checked through my very very old post and found this picture)

It's been quite some time already. How I responded to the news, how I felt about NS, how suffering it was, how pampered I was. I couldn't comment much on the modules, that time I felt the modules were quite boring and holds nothing much. Few years later, today I find that I miss those modules a lot. I don't know why, I just miss the feeling of togetherness in our uniforms.

Celoreng uniform, postman uniform, sports uniform. I still have my postman pants sized 34 with me, my sister is wearing it at the moment for her Pandu Puteri. It's oversized, and I have to use a belt to hold the pants tight, else it will just fell off. I miss those days where we can hear the sound of polishing our boots in our dorm P7. We really had to polish it "kaw kaw" and make it as shinny as possible. Don't play around with the coaches, seriously.

Our dorm P7, where nightmares took place. Always kena tsunami where Cikgu Ina tend to punish us marching with blanket in the midst of night. (Wearing blanket like sarung and march with it) One small mistake and everyone of us will be punished. We had to be aware of TSUNAMI at all times.

TTS = Tidur Tempat Sendiri = Tidur Tanpa Suami

One day Cikgu Ina heard different interpretation of TTS, and she punished all of us for being irrespectful. (Like that also kena, aiyor. Btw I had no idea who said it, suddenly felt like being punished innocently)

What is worst is, I have a pet there. A cockroach. IT'S THE WORST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED ON ME, I swear. The cockroach loved my cupboard, not others but mine only. I chased and threw it out, the next day when I open my cupboard it jumps out of the cupboard and I yelled. It happens almost everyday, until the day when Kati (my sayang) stepped and killed it. *amitabha*

Our camp wasn't the best place with facilities, honestly speaking I think other camps are better than ours. In terms of quality, the gov seriously need to change their uniform suppliers. (shoes and pants tend to be worn out very easily)


It was the first time in my life where I was really on my own. I phoned back home every Friday with tears soaking my eyes. I told my mum how much I missed her buns and her cooking. They knew my problems with cockroach and sent me some "anti-cockcroach" pills. I realised how weak I was without my parents. (The pills didnt work anyway, that's why it was a nightmare for me)

I miss my friends there too. How we worked things out, how we enjoyed our instant noodle in our leisure room in front of TV, how we shared things with each other, how we counted down for the last day of NS. Everything, you all completed my NS life.

I found my NS poem in my old post, written by me after I found out I was chosen. (feels kinda funny when I read my masterpiece)


(Date written: 22 July 2006)
Light dimming and flicking unexpected
The night is so cold and lonely
Under the radar, they can't find evidence

to why it was I that God chose.


Stumbling down my chosen path
I'm learning to fly and be a strong gal
I'll persevere
I'll continue walking, hoping
We are given the strength and
Ability to endure

National Service
Granted the grace to pursue
Piety and persistent purity
Full of hugs and laughter
Filled with sparkles and twirls
A dream comes true
No one to blame or sue

God knows all, hears all, and sees all
It's not a punishment of any kind
There is no one's fault
It was what he had planned us
A better way of which he sought

Lets all hold hands and make amends
With no despair
Together we make this world a better place

7 comments:

Lin said...

i miss my ns time oso. mine is more terrible than urs, much much terrible. do i tell u my story b4?? hahahah... i miss all my frens der oso sometimes 2.

i miss u the most.
hahahah!!! blek~~

Val said...

Talking about NS, you miss your friends, suddenly say miss me? o.O

Lin said...

wah!!! miss u oso cannot ar???
k loo.. then don wan miss u loo! blek!!!

Lin said...

y change back ur previously templete de?? the new one was nice ar...

Val said...

The new one format was not XML format, might caused some problems if the change HTML, unless i have figured out how to sort it out. hehe

Old one is good. :)

CLF said...

hahahah NS days....
yea is quite fun to read back what we wrote in the blog long time ago, somewhat the memory will kicks in when we see the pics.....

NS clothings are good, I've brought the formal shoe, pants and the sports trousers here!

Val said...

Lol, the NS sports pants is kinda.. swt for me. Worn out very easily and I have to sew it back.

Speak about shoes, if i have the chance i show you the picture of my NS sport shoes. haha, the old design's quality is really terrible.

Anyway, really miss those days a lot. =)