Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Eraser and Rubber

Yesterday we were having a little game about guessing an item. The game was like this, you have to describe an object that is in the textbook and your partner has to guess what is it. I was describing about a ring..

"It's an object which couple take it as a symbol of commitment.."
(I haven't finish my line)
"Is it a CONDOM?"

..What?! A what? By the way, there was no picture of any condom in the textbook. I brushed up my eyebrows gave Rod (my partner) a staring look and we both start laughing. My Godness! It's really hilarious! Hehe.. =)

In British education system, we often refer "rubber" as a rubber-made item that we used to rub pencil or ink markings. Back to school, we often say "Can I borrow your rubber please?" Sounds perfectly okay right?

However in US, "rubber" actually refers to condom. An "eraser" is the thing we use for erasing pencil or ink markings. So, if you say "Can I borrow your rubber please?" You will surely get a response with mysterious grin on face. =]

No comments: